Bacon Lovers Trail Mix Recipes!Written by Lillian Tram on August 31st, 2014
What’s up with these crazy holidays? Can’t say I don’t like them… most of these so-called nationally recognized holidays are entertaining and fun! For example, guess what today is? National Trail Mix Day! But guess whow those of us who love pigs will celebrate this day? By adding bacon to the mix, of course.
Celebrate Bacon Trail Mix Day with Us!
Bacon Trail Mix! Doesn’t that sound great? To properly celebrate this holiday, here are some yummy trail mix ideas using our favorite food ever – BACON! Proceed with caution… these recipes and pictures will make you hungry!
Best of all, trail mix is a great source of protein, which the body needs for energy, but the added bacon boosts the protein level even more! Normally, bacon by itself is a yummy treat but with the following five snack mix ideas, you will definitely please the people in your life.
To make any of these yummy bacon trail mixes, you will need to fry some bacon until crisp. Put the crisp bacon on a paper towel to drain. Crumble bacon when cool and store in an airtight container until used for any of these pig-errific recipes!
Five Bacon Trail Mix Ideas
1. Cheez-Its and Bacon Trail Mix – You will need a box of cheese crackers (Cheez-Its are my favorite), 1/2 cup of crumbled bacon, and honey roasted peanuts. Some additional ideas to include in this bacon trail mix is cashews and pretzel sticks.
2. Toffee and Bacon Trail Mix – Oh, don’t you just love the taste of toffee? Bet you probably haven’t eaten it with bacon though. This trail mix combines bits of toffee with crumbled bacon and pretzels – I like the sticks best but square pretzels are great too!
3. Munchie Crunchie Bacon Trail Mix– This one adds a bit of spicy flavor to your bacon trail mix but there is a little more prep work involved. You will need to place the following dry goodies for this bacon trail mix idea in a roasting pan: 3 cups of Crispix breakfast cereal, 5 cups of Tostitos round tortilla chips (white or yellow), 1 bag of microwaved popcorn, popped (I prefer Kettle Corn!), 1 ½ cups of pretzel sticks or squares, 1 cup of Craisins, and 1 cup of pecan halves or mixed party nuts. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
For the seasoning, you will need to place the following ingredients in a small saucepan: ½ cup of real butter, ½ cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of chile powder, 1 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper and ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
Pour the saucepan mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well. Bake for one hour in the oven, stirring at regular intervals. Pour the delicious bacon trail mix onto wax paper while it is still hot. Allow the mix to cool before storing in airtight bags.
4. S’more Bacon Trail Mix – Now, this one is probably going to be your favorite if you love chocolate and big fluffy marshmallows. Incidentally, yesterday was National Toasted Marshmallow Day – how cool is that? You can celebrate both bacon and marshmallow days with this recipe!
Grab a big mixing bowl and add one cup of Golden Grahams cereal, one cup of honey flavor Teddy Grahams, 1/2 cup of Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Chips, 1/2 cup of Milk Chocolate M&M’s, one cup of mini marshmallows, one cup of dehydrated mini marshmallow bites (comes in a cylindrical container near the store’s supply of hot cocoa) and 1/2 cup of bacon pieces (Was that angels singing?). Stir well and dig in.
5. Kentucky Bourbon Bacon Trail Mix– Now, this trail mix may not be the healthiest snack ever, but hey – we are choosing foods that complement the delightful taste of bacon. Here are the ingredients you will need: one 15 ounce bag of traditional Chex Mix, one cup of pecan halves, 1/2 pound of crumbled bacon or 6 to 8 slices, 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup of real butter, 1/4 cup of light corn syrup, 2 tablespoons of Kentucky bourbon (Jim Beam!) and 3/4 teaspoon Chipotle chili powder.
Heat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with foil. Spray the foil-lined sheets with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (Chex mix, pecans and bacon) and set aside. In a saucepan, heat butter, brown sugar and corn syrup until bubbling around the edges.
Continue to cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally, and then remove from heat. Allow the saucepan mixture to cool for two minutes before carefully adding the bourbon and Chipotle powder. Pour this mixture over the dry snack mixture, and toss until evenly coated.
Spread the snack mix across the two pans and bake for fifteen minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until the mixture is caramelized. Allow to cool completely, which should take approximately one hour. Break into pieces and store in refrigerator, inside an airtight container to seal in freshness.
Try these awesome recipes as they are or adapt them to suit your own personal tastes. Leave a comment if you loved them!